Thursday, September 13, 2012

Getting Started at a Gym


Not everyone is ready to walk into a gym and start lifting weights and I’ll address how to get started if you are not in my next post. But once you are I hope this helps to smooth the way.

I know exactly what you are thinking. “I have no idea what to do in the gym!” Well, I’m here to help you. When you walk into the gym you will see all the ladies in the Cardio section. They are walking on the treadmill, watching TV or listening to music. Some are even talking on the phone or reading. The same thing is happening on the elliptical and recline bikes. There is a sense of safeness in that part of the gym. You can head over there and trudge along and no one will look your way. Or there are the classrooms full of Zumba participants that you could hide in the back behind.

Those are the easy options.

The safe options.

Off in the distance is the unknown area of free weights. There are big guys and big dumbbells. Strange looking bars are racked up. There are no women, or very few. Walking over there seems so scary. You don’t want to be laughed at or stared at. But if you want to make huge difference; this is where you need to be. So take a deep breath and walk in. I’ll tell you about my first time.


I had done P90X at home, so I had some idea of using dumbbells, but I had not used a barbell. I had gotten a list of exercises off the internet for beginners that I wrote on notebook paper stolen from my kids. I went over and got a pair of dumbbells and started doing my exercise. I was really self conscious that first time. Glancing in the wall sized mirror, I noticed to my surprise that NO ONE was watching me. Most had headphones in and others were talking with their friends, but no one was really paying attention to me. It was much more anonymous than feared. For the main part, everyone was polite and helpful. Did I get a few odd looks through the weeks? Yes, I did, but no one said anything discouraging.

Let me give you a big hint. The really serious guys, that are lifting crazy weights, are usually the most helpful ones. They understand how hard it is to lift weights and that you are making an effort. Many will be glad to answer questions. If you can take a friend with you, it will be that much easier. And if you can find a gym that caters to the serious lifter, they will be even more help.  Even if you are a beginner, they can show you form and cheer you on.

I’m now going to a gym that focuses on Powerlifting and it’s the most welcoming place I have ever worked out. I don’t bench 340lbs like some of the guys, but they all greet me when I show up and ask how I’m doing. They cheer my PR’s and joke around. It would not matter to them if I was squatting the bar only. They respect my effort and dedication. That is the environment I hope you can all find when you are ready.

Next post I’ll cover where to start if you are not ready to lift weights right off the bat. Then later we will review the equipment at the gym and what it is for.

4 comments:

  1. Although I fully support the demystification of the weight room, one should know that it is a space to approach with respect. Respect for the commitment of the people you will find there. So showing up there completely clueless will undoubtedly be considered an insult.It is not a place for tourists but if a real desire to learn and motivation to change are sensed in you, the people there will take you under their wing.

    Which means some preparation is needed:
    - Learn the name of the machines and what they do
    - Learn the basic lingo of weight lifting (1RM, Rep, Set, Cutting, Bulking, etc...)
    - Have a working knowledge of the human anatomy (muscle groups, articulations, nervous system, etc)
    - Have a full understanding of your eating habits (calories, protein, fat daily intake)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that some basic knowledge is needed. I'll cover Gym Basics/Etiquette and Equipment in another post.

      Delete
    2. I think that's a little much and a little intimidating. Personally I don't know the names of the machines and I don't think that's stopped me getting around the free weight section just fine. And I have developed my anatomy knowledge immensely from being into fitness, but for a first timer they don't have to learn all that before going in the weights room.

      I would suggest a simpler rule: If someone tells you you're in the wrong place, or gives you advice about your diet or program, do not assume they are idiots or they may well be right, best to take it on board then go home and research. Just have an open mind and approach to learn :)

      Delete
  2. Great post by the way Linda. Made me think of actually writing up my first experience in the gym. (If you need an extra post sometime....)

    ReplyDelete