Thursday, September 27, 2012

Starting at the Gym Pt.2

Let’s cover a few topics that may come up when you start working with weights. These are just a few things that I worried about and what I found out about it.

What to wear:

We have all seen the pictures of the great looking girl in tights and a sports bra rocking the six pack abs and not an ounce of fat. If I put on that outfit I’d look more like the Michelin guy then those women. Well, maybe that’s a bit harsh, but you get the picture.


Most of us are going to the gym because we don’t look that way. So what do we wear?  You need something you can easily move in, that won’t bunch up and get in your way. I started out in athletic shorts, a sports bra, and a T-shirt. Not glamorous but functional. And hey, there are some really fun T-Shirts out there. Just look around and find one that expresses you. Add in Yoga pants for when it’s cool and you are good to go.


This is one of my favorite shirts. Get it here.


Shoes are another issue. When lifting weights, you don’t need the kind of shock absorption that most athletic shoes are made for. You need something flat and solid. The options range from Converse Chuck Taylors to Vibram Five Fingers to bare foot. Personally, I’ve seen it all. I wear a cheap pair of Converse from Target for Squat days and a nice pair of New Balance Minimalists for other days. And of course there are super expensive shoes just for weight lifting, but unless you are competing, don’t bother.

Accessories you might need are a small towel to wipe down and a water bottle to save you from running to the water fountain. Or you could look at those trips across the gym as extra cardio. A timer can really help with rest periods as clocks are usually few and far between. I use an app on my phone that was free. And lastly, have a pen and a clipboard to write on so you can keep track of the amount of weight you used.

The most important thing is do NOT forget to remove your rings. Here is a shot of my hand when I forgot to take off my wedding ring before Chin-ups. Not a pretty sight. Luckily, it healed fairly quick.




Gym Etiquette:

Ok, what are the rules of this place? Because no one wants to look like an idiot stumbling around and making people mad.

1. Put up the weights you have used. Sadly, this is a huge issue in most gyms. People pack eight 45lbs plates on a leg press, do a few reps, and walk away. Leaving the next person (like me) that only needs two 45lbs plates to unload six of them. Not an easy task for most people that are starting out. Since I’m short, I still feel uncomfortable trying to remove plates over my head. If you need to ask for help to remove heavy plates, that’s okay, but DON’T be the person that causes the problem for the next user.

2. Clean up your station. Different gyms have different ways of cleaning, but at least wipe up the sweat with a towel. Nobody wants to lay back in sweat to do some bench presses.

3. It is OK to ask to work your sets in. “Working in", means, if you need a piece of equipment and someone else is using it, that you share time on it. This usually works best when the other user is taking longer breaks. Pull-up bars are a perfect example.

4. Everyone will miss a lift. That is what Safety Bars are for. Even the biggest guy has done the “roll of shame” when trying a squat without a spotter. You need to push yourself and that is what safety equipment is for. Learn how to use it, set it up and don’t feel bad if you need to use it.

5. Music- Feel free to listen to your own; if you don’t like the gym selection. I like to talk with my partner and the other people, so I generally just ignore the music if I don’t like it. If you need it for motivation, plug in the headphones and go for it.


As always, thanks for reading and please come back and share.

1 comment:

  1. Nice article! One thing about weightlifting shoes, though: The hard sole and extra bit of lift in the heel can be a help with form in the squat sometimes, and a decent starter pair can be gotten for not much more than those Chucks. A $69 pair of Wei-Rui shoes helped my wife out a bunch.

    ReplyDelete